Also called - HSV, herpes simplex virus infection
The herpes simplex virus, also known as HSV, is aninfection that causes herpes. Herpes can appear in various parts of the body,most commonly on the genitals or mouth. Herpes simplex virus 1 and 2, also known as humanherpesvirus 1 and 2, are two members of the herpes virus family, Herpesviridae,that infect humans. Both HSV1 and HSV2 are ubiquitous and contagious.
Symptoms : Blisters that break open and form small ulcers, fever, swollen lymph nodes
Causes : Herpessimplex virus spread by direct contact
Risk factors : Decreased immune function, stress, sunlight
Most common types and SYMPTOMS :
Cold sores :
Infectionwith the herpes simplex virus around the border of the lips.
Genital herpes :
- Acommon sexually transmitted infection marked by genital pain and sores.
- Genital herpes is a common sexually transmitted disease(STD) that any sexually active person can get. Most people with the virus do nothave symptoms. Even without signs of the disease, herpes can still be spread tosex partners.
- Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted infection(STI) passed on through vaginal, anal and oral sex. Treatment from a sexualhealth clinic can help. Symptoms clear up on their own but can come back.
Start Therapy as soon as possible if youhave :
- Smallblisters that burst to leave red, open sores around your genitals, anus, thighsor buttocks.
- Tingling,burning or itching around your genitals.
- Painwhen you pee
- Inwomen, vaginal discharge that's not usual for you
- Getdiagnosed even if you haven't had sex for a long time, as blisters can takemonths or years to appear.
Shingles also called Herpes Zoster
- Areactivation of the chickenpox virus in the body, causing a painful rash.
- Anyone who had chickenpox may develop shingles. It is notknown what reactivates the virus.
- Shingles causes a painful rash that may appear as a stripeof blisters on the torso. Pain can persist even after the rash is gone (this iscalled post herpetic neuralgia).
- Shingles is an infection caused by the varicella zostervirus, which is the same virus that causes chickenpox. Even after thechickenpox infection is over, the virus may live in your nervous system foryears before reactivating as shingles. Shingles may also be referred to asherpes zoster.
- This type of viral infection is characterized by a red skinrash that can cause pain and burning. Shingles usually appears as a stripe ofblisters on one side of the body, typically on the torso, neck, or face.
- The first symptoms of shingles are usually pain andburning. The pain is usually on one side of the body and occurs in smallpatches. A red rash typically follows.
Rash characteristics include :
- Fluid-filledblisters that break easily
- A rashthat wraps around from the spine to the torso
- A rashon the face and ears
Some people experience symptoms beyondpain and rash with shingles. These symptoms may include :